Saturday, June 4, 2011

Lessons have been learned.

I have learnt magnificent lessons on a 7,000 mile voyage, and it is those who are uninspired that have inspired me to write this today.

A well-deserved break I’d say. After a few months of very hectic weeks and tiresome ordeals, I am very glad to say that I am returning to Atlanta today. Well, hopefully. I have gotten a seat on my standby flight, and am ready to board. The only problem now is that, well, the flight is having technical difficulties, and so it’s just a matter of waiting now.

I had a pretty interesting idea recently, and it was kind of a crazy one, but I wanted to take a year off at some point in my life, and work for an airline. I would preferably like to work for Delta for just one year and see how things go because I think that would be a very fun and entertaining experience. As I currently wait for my flight, I can’t help but think, how cool would it be to be on that side.

Amongst my travels in Sydney, I met a friend called Daniel, who is studying his masters in robotics / computer science at the University of Technology at Sydney. It was the second time I had talked to someone who was talking about something in my field, and I couldn’t help but be a bit disappointed at how little they thought of computer science as a field that would allow them to change the world. I saw little inspiration, and a fear of failure. I saw frightened souls who didn’t have the confidence to fight for what they believe in. I’m not sure if this is computer science specific, but I have seen a certain fear amongst our youth that I want to talk to everyone who gets the chance to read this about.

If you’re the logical type, then let me make a very logical argument. Opportunities that you don’t seek are opportunities that you will not get. If you don’t apply for every opportunity and get your name out there, then what’s the point? What’s the point of you sitting back on your ass thinking that you’re not good enough? Thousands if not millions of people have said it in hundreds of different ways, you won’t know what your limit is if you don’t hit that limit. Say it the way you want to, confidence is only an issue if you make it be an issue. It’s as simple as building a resume and applying to jobs. You have the power to succeed in this world, you have the power to reach your goals and make a difference.

If you’re less logical, and more emotional, allow me to explain. Not seeking your ultimate capability and not going for the best will make you feel worse about yourself. You are brilliant inside, we all are. It’s not about our mental ability, or whether we are smart enough, I’d say that’s maybe 10% of what matters. In truth, what really matters is how much power and will we have to change things in this world. Our greatness lies in the 90% of believing. It lies in the passion towards doing what we love, and achieve the ultimate goal, you will be happy.

If for you it’s about the money, let me phrase this differently. As someone once wisely put it, ‘Money does not bring happiness, but happiness and creativity will bring you money’. Having the passion and dedication to achieve what you want is what will not only bring you happiness, but make this world a better place.

We all have dreams, it’s a beautiful world out there, and many of us are out there to pursue what we always wanted to do. Whether it is three gorgeous children and a loving wife or husband, or the exotic wildlife of Africa and the inspirational deserts in Egypt, we all have that inner self that wants to achieve the impossible.

Let it speak for you, and let it take you to places which will change the way you look at this world. There is no point of sitting around and not doing what you dreamed of, you only have one life, so for the sake of yourself, live it.

I’ve grown very concerned of when people I meet are working in fields they are passionate about, but somehow don’t find the motivation to take that leap and try and go for their wildest dreams.
Yes, you will get disappointed. Yes, things will stab you in the back, and you will break down to unimaginable weakness. You will cry and you will face adversity like you have never faced before. Sometimes, fear will creep up on you on a 6 hour bus ride to the middle of the desert in Egypt that you were told only lasted 4 hours. Sometimes, you will be facing death, but for the hundredth time, it is these experiences that will take you from being alive, to living your life.

For once, trust me, follow your dreams and do as you must, because a fake smile and an imaginary happiness will only fill your heart with regret in 40 years when you look back and think, why didn’t I just do it?

So, on this final note, go out there and do it. Inspire yourself to change the world and keep in touch. I’d love to hear your stories, and I’d love to hear your adventures in the pursuit of happiness. It’s not an easy path, but its better than a fake path that you fill your mind with, in hopes that someone will somehow spot your creative wisdom without you fighting to show the world how awesome you are.

Go for it lads, it’s now or never.

Cheers,
qk.

No comments:

Post a Comment